June 20 is International Surfing Day.
Among them, SPY Optic got together in Carlsbad to ride waves, demo boards and give out free breakfast.
Starting at 6 p.m. Wednesday evening at Paradise Point Resort & Spa in Mission Bay, Surfrider Foundation San Diego will host a celebration and premiere of the movie Here & Now, which follows the lives of surfers around the world.
Surfers are invited to bring their boards and watch the paddle-in movie from the water.
The California State Assembly recognized the day with House Resolution 30.
Wednesday off the coast of surf capital Hawaii.
Here are a few ways to take part locally:
- Free bar of wax with any purchase and free T-shirt with any surfboard purchase at . T-shirts on sale and select wetsuits 35 to 50 percent off at
- Visit the founded by John Hanks in the
- Walk the outdoor surfboard museum and see outlines of significant work by 25 Southern California shapers. See the attached PDF for a list of each board and designer outlined along Palm Avenue
- Get a sunset shot of The Spirit of Imperial Beach at the end of Seacoast Drive and Palm Avenue. The 18-foot statue of local legend Dempsey Holder was installed in 2008
- Volunteer to help restore habitat in the Tijuana River Valley July 14 with Barefoot Wine
- Hit the waves!