The average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in San Diego County recorded what is believed to be its largest single-day increase Friday, rising 19.5 cents to $4.523, its highest amount since July 10, 2008.
The average price record is $4.63, set on June 19, 2008.
Some gas stations in and near Imperial Beach have already surpassed the record, with a high of $4.89 at some stations.
The average price has risen for seven consecutive days, including 9.2 cents on Thursday and 5.8 cents on Wednesday, and is now 40.7 cents more than one week ago, 36.7 cents higher than one month ago and 70.9 cents greater than one year ago, according to figures from the AAA and Oil Price Information Service.
"Reportedly in recent weeks, local refineries were dropping production levels, exporting supply to Mexico and other countries, and allowing inventory to dwindle in anticipation of switching over to production of winter blend gasoline, then a refinery power outage and a pipeline incident occurred on Monday that sent wholesale markets into a panic about the adequacy of California fuel supplies," said Jeffrey Spring of the Automobile Club of Southern California.
Spring said "it's not clear" how much higher prices will go.
"A lot depends on whether the perceived supply issues are quickly addressed," he said.
As of 4 a.m. Friday, the cheapest gas in Imperial Beach or west of Interstate 5 was $4.33 and could be found at 7-Eleven at the corner of Palm Avenue and 13th Street.
- $4.33 at 7-Eleven at the corner of Imperial Beach Boulevard and 13th Street
- $4.45 at Thrifty gas station at the corner of Saturn Boulevard and Palm Avenue
- $4.49 at Arco station on Palm Avenue between Florida and 12th streets
- $4.49/4.59 at 76 station at the corner of 9th Street and Palm Avenue
- $4.55/4.69 at Beach Side Station at the corner of Palm Avenue and 7th Street
- $4.69 at the Shell/7-Eleven at the corner of Saturn Boulevard and Palm Avenue
- $4.69/4.79 at Valero station at the corner of 13th Street and Imperial Beach Boulevard
- $4.89 at San Diego Gas and Food at the corner of Hollister Street and Coronado Avenue
- $4.89 at A Gas at the corner of Hollister Street and Ingrid Avenue
- $4.89 at Hollister Gas at the corner of Hollister Street and Coronado Avenue
City News Service contributed to this report.