Man’s best friends hit the waves Saturday and even broke a few world records at the annual Loews Coronado Bay Resort Surf Dog Competition. Fifty surf dogs competed this year at the 7th annual event that began at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Here are the winners from the three Heats.
- Heat 1: A competition for small dogs, the winner is Australian Kelpie Abbie Girl.
- Heat 2: A competition for large dogs, the winner is Golden Retriever and ASPCA Dog of the Year Ricochet.
- Heat 3: A tandem competition, the winners are Zoey, a Jack Russell Terrier and his owners Scott and Tyler Chandler.
According to organizers, the competition this year broke three Guiness Book of World records:
- Most amount of dogs surfing on one board at one time (more than 10 dogs).
- Most amount of dogs surfing on one board at one time (more than 10 dogs) with a human (Scott Chandler).
- Most amount of dogs surfing on one board at one time (more than 10 dogs) with two humans (Scott and Tyler Chandler).
The event this year benefitted the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
Stay posted for more event pictures.